Data Masking Made Simple with DataSunrise Data Masking Tool
Data masking feature is about protecting sensitive data of any kind by replacing it with special characters or fictive useless data. It is a commonly occurring measure when working with credit card numbers. Most receipts provide only the last four numbers of the card, replacing other numbers with asterisks (*) or Xs. As you may guess from its name, DataSunrise Data Masking tool is used to mask data a database contains. In this article we will highlight some data masking related points.
Why do we need data masking?The main reason to apply dynamic Data Masking is to protect personally identifiable data or commercially sensitive data. Companies storing critical data bear responsibility for the privacy and confidentiality of their clients’ data. Federal laws and regulations such as GDPR, SOX, HIPAA and PCI DSS place exacting demands on organizations to keep the data secure. Data masking is one of the ways to comply with those requirements. Especially when you work with third-party employees who need to access your database for reporting, testing or developing purposes. In most cases, software developers don’t need the actual data from the database, a “dummy” database with consistent fictive data is enough. It is also a helpful tool when you need to mask only certain columns of the database. Sophisticated masking algorithms make it impossible for a user to retrieve the original data by means of reverse-engineering. Compared to encryption, masked data remains partially readable. With the help of masking patterns, you choose which part of the content has to be masked.
Static Data MaskingDataSunrise can perform static Data Masking. These are the features of static Data Masking:
- A full copy of the database with masked information is created.
- Additional space for the copy of the database is required.
- The database can be out-of-date if the original data is edited. It may be necessary to update the copy database periodically.
- It is completely impossible to retrieve the original data, as the database content is changed, not just masked. But before masking the real data must be extracted from the database, which poses an exposure threat.
Dynamic Data MaskingDataSunrise can perform dynamic Data Masking. These are the features of dynamic Data Masking:
- The data is masked on-the-fly at the moment of request. Dynamic data masking software intercepts the client query and changes the database response.
- Doesn’t require any additional server resources.
- The database is always up-to-date.
- No need to extract the whole database. The original content is changed before leaving the database.